Broccoli and Sausage Pasta
- 2 Bunches Broccoli
- 1 lb Orecchiette (or any noodles really)
- 1 lb Longhini Sweet Italian Sausage
- Olive Oil
- 6 Cloves Garlic Thinly Sliced
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick the sausages with a fork and place them on a sheet pan. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until just cooked through. Slice 1/2 inch thick and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the sausage slices and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the pieces are browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the pasta and cook for 9 minutes. While the pasta is cooking, trim the broccoli.
- When the pasta has cooked for 9 minutes, add the broccoli to the pasta and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Drain in a large colander, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and add the pasta and broccoli to the pot with the sausage mixture and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon of salt. If the pasta seems dry, add some of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Add red pepper flakes (we skip this step for our kids), salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot with extra Parmesan on the side.