Parmesan Herb Sausage Stuffing
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 lb. Longhini sweet Italian sausage with Parmesan
- 1 Loaf crusty French or Italian bread, sliced and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Stalks celery, diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 3 - 4 Cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the cubed bread on a baking sheet and brown in the oven for about 15 minutes. Add the toasted cubed bread to a large bowl.
- While the bread toasts, add the sausages to a large skillet or cast iron pan and cook for about 5 minutes on medium high heat, turn and continue cooking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the links are nicely browned. Remove from the pan and dice.
- While the sausages cook, add the olive oil to another large skillet along with the diced onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the chopped rosemary, thyme, parsley and sage. Continue sautéing for another couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and butter to a pot and heat on the stovetop until the butter melts.
- Add the diced sausages and sautéed vegetables to the bowl with the cubed bread and toss to combine. Pour half the warm chicken stock over the mixture and stir. Continue adding stock, one ladle at a time, until the mixture is moist to your liking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish, top with the Parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes.