Sausage with Caramelized Onions and Cheesy Polenta
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 Package Longhini sweet Italian sausage with Parmesan
- 1 Sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup corn meal
- 3 Cup water
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To caramelize the onions, heat the olive oil and butter in a large cast iron pan. Add the sliced onions and cook on medium heat, stirring often for about 30 minutes or until the onions are nicely colored but not burned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and remove from the heat.
- To cook the polenta, bring the water, milk and salt to a boil. Lower the heat and pour in the corn meal while whisking steadily. Continue whisking until the polenta begins to thicken. On low heat, continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent the bottom from burning. Note that you can add a bit more water or milk if you’d like a looser texture. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese.
- To cook the sausages, heat a large cast iron pan and add the sausages. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium high heat, turn and continue cooking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the links are nicely browned. Slice on the diagonal.
- Serve the polenta, topped with the caramelized onions and sliced sausage.