Italian Sausages & Zucchini
- 1 pkg Italian sausage (about 6 links)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- 1 green or red bell pepper
- 2-3 small or 1-2 medium zucchini
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 fresh oregano leaves
- salt pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, slice sausages into halves lengthwise; slice again into quarters. Next, slice across the quarters until you have 3/4 inch chunks. Peel and chop onion coarsely. Wash, core, and chop pepper. Peel and mince garlic. Wash and chop basil and oregano. Wash and slice unpeeled zucchini into 1/4 inch thick coins or circles.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Saute sausage over high heat for 10 minutes or so; when they begin to take on color, add onion and pepper, continuing to cook until the vegetables brown slightly. Add garlic and chopped basil and oregano; reduce heat and cook until sausage is done (no longer pink inside). Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked sausage and vegetables to a serving plate; keep warm. (No need to drain or wash skillet).
- Melt butter in remaining olive oil in skillet. Saute zucchini coins over high heat until the edges and a little of the center portion browns; flip each coin and saute the other side. Sprinkle zucchini with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder (very lightly) and a pinch of hot pepper. Return sausage mixture to skillet with cooked zucchini and mix, cooking until evenly heated (1-2 minutes). Be careful not to overcook zucchini (should be browned but still slightly firm and not mushy).
- Serve as is or with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Note: If no fresh herbs are available, substitute 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried.
- Variation: Serve over wide noodles, spaghetti or with Ziti. Dress with a little olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and run under the broiler just until cheese melts.